Friday, February 21, 2014

Staggering Increases

Working on perfecting my crocheted fez pattern. What a difference staggering the increases makes! I made two examples to demonstrate. 


The circle, or hexagon, on the left is made by making the increases in the second stitch of the increases on the previous row.

The circle on the right is made by offsetting the increases on every other row.

The hexagon on top of the fez just didn't look quite right when I had the sides done. I had read about staggering the stitches before, but I haven't really seen written directions for where to put the staggered stitches and I'm a bit of a perfectionist and didn't just want to put them wherever. So I started experimenting this morning. And I LOVE the results!

Here's a bit of the pattern:

Round 1:  Make an adjustable ring and ch 1, sc 6. Close circle. DO NOT JOIN  (6sc)
Round 2:  2sc in each sc. (12sc)
Round 3: *sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around. (18sc)
Round 4:  *2 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (24sc)
Round 5:  * sc, 2 sc in next sc, 2 sc* repeat around (30sc)
Round 6:  *4 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (36sc)
Round 7:  * 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc, 3 sc* repeat around (42 sc)

Hopefully I'll be able to get the fez pattern written up and posted soon. I need to make a few more in different sizes so I can get my measurements for them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment